Okay, so maybe it isn’t the UGLIEST soap ever, but it’s pretty ugly. (Sorry for the poor quality picture; the battery on my lamp died, and there’s not a whole lot of natural light at midnight where I live.)
6.7 oz (187 g) Mango Butter
6.7 oz (187 g) Avacado Oil
11 oz ( 311 g) Coconut Oil
11 oz (311 g) Olive Oil
2.20 oz (62 g) Castor Oil
5.15 oz (146 g) Sodium Hydroxide
12.1 oz (300 g) Water
I really liked this recipe. Not too many oils, but they’re very nice ones. It traced very fast for me, though, which is why the swirls came out as nasty blobs. (I really need to work on this. I’ve decided that every soap that I do for the rest of the month is going to be swirled, until I get the hang of this technique.)
The CPOP was… interesting. It was definitely nice to pull the soap out of the mold only 12 hours after making it. And my house STILL smells awesome because of it (the scent smells like Nag Champa, btw). But it had a weird, crunchy crackly look on the outside. I used the vegetable peeler to take this yucky rind off of the soap. (Yes, the soap was even uglier before!) I’ve read about this on some of the soap forums that I belong to, and it seems to be a sign of overheating. I’m not sure if it was just because my oven was too hot (unfortunately, 200 degrees is the lowest actually number on my oven; I set it to slightly below 200 degrees, but I can’t really be sure how close to 170 degrees I got.), or because it was in there so long, or some combination of both.
Bottom line: I definitely think the technique has possibilities, and I’m going to play around with it some more.